Wednesday, November 13, 2013

While Waiting . . .

The other day I had several hours of waiting at the hospital.  I left the house prepared with a couple knitting projects in tow.  Even the simplest procedure can take longer than expected, and I wasn't going to take any chances.

Once I was situated in a comfy waiting area at the hospital, I pulled out my knitting.  It didn't take long for one of the nurses to comment. "Those are tiny stitches," she said.  She went on to explain that it was going to take me a long time to finish.  I was working with US 5 needles.  As someone who knits socks on small needles, US 5 seemed almost hefty.  It all depends on your perspective, I guess. The nurse was very friendly, and I didn't debate the point.  We had a nice chat about knitting.

Later in the day I found myself in a different waiting area.  Again, one of the nurses commented - pretty colors, looks soft.  "The yarn has a bit of cashmere," I explained.  She went on to tell me that she had recently taken up crochet.  We continued to discuss the personal satisfaction that comes from making something with your own hands. She even pulled out her phone to show me pictures of things she had made - fruit, animals, all sorts of 3-D objects.  She uses them as gift items.  It was a delightful conversation.

I always enjoy unexpected conversations that spring up around knitting.  People are so willing to share information about what they make and why they make it.  I especially enjoyed these two because they broke up the monotony of a long wait.

A quick progress update on Zephyr Cove.


I finished the striped section and have done a few rows of the short row section.  The beauty of this design is the variety.  I enjoyed knitting the stripes and just when I had had my fill, it was time to move on to the next section.  This project wasn't a priority, but now I'm hooked.  Like a good book, I have to keep going to see how it ends.

No comments: