Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Orphan Socks

Hand-knit items are cherished, often through several generations.  
I have a few items that were knit and crocheted by my great-aunts.  
don't use them regularly, but I can't bear to part with them.  I appreciate all the time and effort that went into making them.  They are one of my connections to a past generation of women . . . strong, independent, resourceful, hard-working women who always found time to make things with their hands.

I've been sorting through my handknits and came across a couple orphan socks.  Their matching mates had holes beyond repair, and I tossed them long ago.  Like the items made by my great-aunts, I can't let go of the orphans.  Since the socks still have life, I'm going to put them to good use.


The orphan pair . . . definitely one of a kind.

No comments: