Monday, June 30, 2014

Making It Provisional

During the spring and fall when I do a lot of traveling, I don't have time for all my usual family duties.  One job I get out of is driving kids to various events and activities.  It's a job I'm happy to let go of.

Of course when I'm not traveling, I have to make up for lost time.  This past weekend I felt like an Uber driver in training.  All the driving I missed this spring was crammed into one weekend.

On the upside I love spending time with my kids, and we have some interesting discussions while driving around town.  On the downside all that driving really cuts into my knitting time.

Over the weekend I managed to knit a little in between picking up and dropping off, but my main focus was starting a new project . . . over 300 stitches with a provisional cast on.

I use a couple different methods when the situation calls for a provisional cast on.  My favorite method doesn't work well with a large number of stitches, so this time I used my second favorite.


Using smooth waste yarn, place a slip knot on a crochet hook the same size as the project knitting needles.


Hold the crochet hook in front of the knitting needle with the yarn behind the knitting needle.  Excuse my dye-stained hands.  Dyeing can be a messy job.


Bring the yarn forward and wrap it around the crochet hook.


Pull the strand through the loop on the crochet hook.  You've created one stitch on the knitting needle, and you still have a loop on the crochet hook.


Move the yarn behind the knitting needle and start all over.




Now there are 2 stitches on the knitting needle.  Repeat over and over until you have 1 stitch less than the required number.  The stitch on the crochet hook becomes your final stitch.  

Drop the waste yarn and begin working with the project yarn.  When you need to expose the live stitches, simply remove the waste yarn.


And now the fun begins.  What's your favorite provisional cast on?

No comments: