Friday, June 13, 2014

Tinkering with Toes

Recently I finished a pair of socks.


These socks were perfect for on-the-go, almost mindless knitting.  The stitch is 3 x 1 ribbing.  Nothing fancy.  I didn't really follow a pattern but try A Nice Ribbed Sock if you're looking for something similar.  In case you're wondering, the yarn is Lillian, colorway Wheat.

A while ago Stephanie of Yarn Harlot fame posted about her toe decreases.  She spaces out her decrease rounds with additional plain knit rounds to create a more rounded toe.  I made a mental note of the formula and told myself I would try it some day.

When I came to the toe of these ribbed socks, I decided to give Stephanie's method a try.  I wasn't unhappy with my traditional toe, but I'm delighted with the outcome of the new one.


For comparison, my traditional toe is on the right.  Stephanie's toe has a comfy fit, and it reminds me of the bumper on Keds sneakers.  A simple variation on a theme.  I'm sure there are more rounded toes in my future.

My color inspiration this week is highlighted by a contrasting backdrop.


A ball of purple surrounded by green.

No comments: