Friday, March 29, 2013

Weighing In

Ravelry can be both a curse and a cure.  Easy, instant access to a world of knitting patterns is great; however, the number of patterns available can be overwhelming at times.  A few days ago I was browsing on Ravelry - clicking and adding to my queue with reckless abandon.  Time has a way of evaporating when you're on Ravlery.   Finally, after much debate, I settled on a pattern.


I'm having a spring fling with a couple of new colorways and chose Picabeau for a skein of Paula Orchid.  This colorway isn't on the website yet.  Give me a few days.

Paula is 100% Superwash Blue Faced Leicester - smooth, lustrous, almost silky.  I love working with it, and this time around is no exception.

Picabeau has two sections - an increase section and a decrease section.  The increase section is made up of 8 16-row repeats.  I finished the 8 repeats and then paused.  At this point the pattern has the option of working additional repeats until you've used half of your yarn. Did I want to make the shawl a little bigger?  Did I want to use as much of the yarn as possible?  The answer was yes.  I'm a terrible judge of how much is left on a ball of yarn, so I put it on the scale.


It weighed in at 63 grams.  Since I started with 100 grams, I still have a few grams to go.  I don't want to cut it too close, so I'll stop when I get to 52 or 53 grams.  It's less stressful on the other end if I have a little cushion. 

My color inspiration this week is in keeping with the season.  Dyeing eggs can produce subtle color shifts and variations.


Like watercolors.

No comments: