Monday, March 11, 2013

Frayed

A few years ago I knit a case for my phone.  I made in on a whim, not sure I would really like it or use it.  Over the years I've become very attached to the little case.  



I use it all the time, and it shows.  The phone case is now tattered and torn.  Not too long ago my daughter told me, as only a teenager could, that I really should make a new one.  Appearances are everything when you're that age.  I didn't feel like taking time to knit a new one. And I wasn't sure I really needed one, but I tucked her recommendation in the back of my mind.  

Often I need a little time to warm up to the idea of replacing a favorite. A couple of weeks ago I agreed with my daughter that it was time to replace the sad, well-worn case.



Once I'd made up my mind, it didn't take long to get the new case under construction.  I used this pattern.  The orange yarn will be unraveled to make room for the pocket.



After the case is the right size from top to bottom, I worked an extra section on half the stitches.  See red marking above.

This extra section is used to form the top edge and the casing for the closure.



Stitches are picked up below the extra section (middle needle) and knit together with the live stitches above to form the casing.

After both sides of the casing are finished, the stitches are worked in the around again to make the lining.



When the lining is the right length, the stitches are grafted together at the end.  The lining is tucked down inside the case.

Next up . . . the pocket.  I made this feature on my first case but didn't think I would really use it.  Wrong.  It's the most handy thing for my ear buds, and I don't know what I would do without it.



The orange yarn is removed.  The exposed stitches are picked up and knit in the round to form the pocket.  When the pocket is the right length (I made mine longer than the pattern suggests), the stitches are grafted together.  This little tube is tucked inside to create the pocket.

The delightful detail about this case is the flexible closure at the top.



The clasp is hinged on one end and open on the other end.

Each end of the clasp is inserted through an opening in the casing.



On the other end they are joined with a little pin.

A new home for my phone.



And now I can't imagine why I had trouble letting go of the old one.

3 comments:

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

I love that! Now I'm pretty sure my iPod needs one...

old lady said...

That is SO cool! Where do you get the thingie that closes it?

Stephanie/Dirty Water DyeWorks said...

I got the flexible closure from Cotton & Cloud.

http://cottonandcloud.com/item.php?item_id=93

Fast, friendly service. I highly recommend them.