Monday, March 4, 2013

While The Lace Dries . . .

I was cruising along on my Low Tide Cardigan when someone - that would be the designer - hit the pause button.  I finished the lace panels only to discover that they had to be blocked before I could move on to the next step.

If I had been diligent and had read the pattern carefully before starting the project, this bit of blocking wouldn't have come as a surprise.  I didn't want to lose my momentum, and for a brief moment I contemplated skipping the blocking step.  Then I considered the consequences.  I have to pick up stitches along the curled bottom edge of all the lace panels.  Picking up stitches would be much easier if the panels were blocked first.  And so I did it.

Then I had a small crisis on my hands.  Low Tide was my only ongoing knitting project.  What was I supposed to work on while the lace was drying?  I had finished a pair of socks last week.  Starting a new pair was the logical choice to fill the knitting void.



Sign of Four (a sock for Sherlock) is an enchanting combination of knit and purl sequences. It reminds me of the Dovetail Cowl I made not too long ago.

This sock kept me entertained during the blocking process.  The leg is almost finished, and I'm on a roll.  The only question is whether or not I can put it down.



The lace panels are dry and ready for action.

No comments: