Monday, January 28, 2013

Turnaround

It's Monday morning, and I'm trying to orchestrate a quick turnaround. After spending the weekend at Slater Mill, I have just a couple days before I head up to Freeport and SPA Weekend.  Fiber events seem to come in bunches.  After this little flurry of activity, I won't be on the road again until April.  

Before I tackle my SPA master list, here's a quick recap of the weekend.  Fiber events at Slater Mill are always a delight, and this past weekend was no exception.


The mill has been restored into a museum and community space.  

No matter how many times I've been in the museum, I always seem to spot something new.


I'm fascinated with mills, textiles and the impact they had on the New England economy.

I know bits and pieces of the Slater Mill story from reading the various museum display notes.


I've decided that one of these days I'll have to take a tour of the mill. Hearing the whole story will put all the pieces together.

The class list for Knitting Weekend was very impressive - Icelandic knitting, Shetland lace, set in sleeves.


The vendor market was just as diverse - repurposed clothing, felted items, jewelry, colorful yarn and fiber.  There was even qiviut.  No, it didn't come home with me, but it's nice to know there's a local source.

It was great fun to spend the weekend with the enthusiastic Rhode Island fiber community.  And now I'm off to channel some of that energy as I get ready for my next road trip.

No comments: