Friday, November 9, 2012

Sturdy Woollens

The weather has turned decidedly colder and blustery.  It's only November, but I'm already feeling that my handknit woollens are in short supply.  One pair of mitts has gone missing, and much to my daughter's dismay I've had to "borrow" a pair of hers.  A favorite pair of handknit socks is showing signs of wear and tear.  Is that a wee hole I see?  I knit all the time.  How can I be faced with a shortage of handknits so early in the winter season?

When I look back over the last few months of knitting, I realize that I didn't knit a lot of sturdy woollens.  Poor planning on my part.  Lace shawls are beautiful and entertaining to knit, but they don't necessarily keep you warm in the face of a nor'easter.  No, I need sturdy, practical woollens that will help me brave the elements - mittens and socks and hats.

I'm going to concentrate my knitting efforts on sturdy woollens . . . after the weekend.  If you're in the Boston area, check out the Fiber Trunk Show at Gather Here this Sunday.  Virginia, owner of Gather Here, has brought together a diverse group of vendors, including Dirty Water DyeWorks.  The day includes demonstrations in the new Annex space and promises to be loads of fun.

Speaking of Gather Here, Virginia is hosting a Red Cross Fundraiser for Sandy relief efforts.  For every $10 you donate to the Red Cross, you get a virtual raffle ticket to win one of the cool prizes.  For those who've wanted to help but don't know how, this is a great way to pitch in.

After a week with several gray days, I set out to find some color.  This hydrant may be dirty and weathered, but it's still eye-catching . . . my color inspiration for the week.


A splash of red.

1 comment:

17th stitch said...

I was at Franklins Habit's talk at WEBS yesterday and, while admiring other people's knitting, ran into three women all knitting with yarn from you. We had a nice natter about how much we love your products. Just wanted you to know!