Friday, November 30, 2012

Lacunae Mitts

These mitts came off the needles this week and just in time.  Colder weather is settling in, and I fear I have to return the pair of mitts I borrowed from my daughter.


Lacunae Mitts.  This is my second Knitspot pattern in a week.  Anne Hanson strikes again.

Lacunae - from the Latin, air spaces.  The name takes me back to high school Latin - a dead language that is still so alive.


Try on these mitts, and, as if by magic, the air spaces appear.  This wonderful little trick is achieved by a clever combination of cables and ribbing.  As always Anne's pattern is well-written and includes both charts and written instructions.

The yarn is Dirty Water DyeWorks Edna, colorway Moon Shadow. This DK weight blend of Polwarth wool and silk is currently one of my favorites - durable wool with a bit of shimmer.  As luck would have it this pattern includes a matching hat.  I may have enough leftover yarn to knit the hat.  If not, there's more yarn where this came from.

It's that time of year.  If you're out and about first thing in the morning, you'll see a world transformed by frost.  Colors glisten and take on a new hue.  I captured this week's color inspiration on one such chilly morning.


From black to blue-gray.  Magical.

No comments: