Friday, August 3, 2012

Short And Sweet

One of the things that fascinates me about knitting is that there's more than one way to achieve the same result.  Cast on, bind off, increase, decrease - there are many ways to do all of these things.  Not just one or two ways.  Many.


Imagine my delight when I stumbled across another way to work short rows - the German short row.  I've been working short rows using the wrap and turn method, and it works just fine.  But maybe I was missing out on something.  Maybe I would like German short rows better.  


There was only one way to find out.  I worked a sample.  Follow along and see how it's done.




Knit to the point where you want to add the short row.


Turn the work to the other side.




Slip the first stitch as if to purl.


The stitch with the working yarn is now on the right hand needle.




Pull the yarn tail across the top of the needle and to the back.  This will create a double stranded-looking stitch.


Pull yarn down and to the front between the two needles.




Yarn is now in position to purl.  Purl across the row.


This method creates odd looking stitches.




The purl side.




The knit side.


Repeat these steps for additional short rows.  After you've added all your short rows, knit across the entire row.




When you come to the odd stitches, they will look like this.




Insert right hand needle tip through both strands.




Work the strands like a knit 2 together.


The German short row feels more efficient than the wrap and turn method and is hardly noticeable on the finished fabric.




Very clever.  


It just so happens I'm planning to work up a new booth sample that uses short rows.  I'll have to give the German short row a try.  If you want to see this technique demonstrated, both knitting and purling videos are available.


It's that time of year . . . time for our annual blueberry picking.  My color inspiration for the week.




Savoring the blues.

1 comment:

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

My kind of short rows! I find the wrapping and turning kind of cumbersome. Thanks so much for sharing -