Monday, July 23, 2012

Offline

In the aftermath of the intense storm that hit us last week we were left without internet service for a couple of days.  It took me a while to adjust to the fact that I couldn't sit down at my desk and plug into all the latest.  In the grand scheme of things being without internet wasn't such a bad thing.  After all we still had power so the fridge wasn't a lab for all kinds of stinky science experiments.


Being without internet meant I had more time for other things, especially knitting.  To keep the peace I also did some cooking.  On one hand I was almost sad to have internet service restored.  I could get used to sitting on the porch and knitting.  On the other hand now I have a bigger mountain of work because I was offline.  I have knitting progress to share, but it will have to wait for another day when I have pictures.  Instead today I have a few tidbits of . . . 


THIS AND THAT


~ Last week a couple of knitters and I were discussing knitting in public, specifically meeting situations.  The consensus was that it's harder to knit during smaller meetings where more eyes are focused on you, but that for larger meetings and conferences no one really pays attention.  


Along those same lines consider sporting events.  You wouldn't think that knitting at a large sporting event would draw much attention, but it appears that one knitter raised a few eyebrows by knitting at Wimbledon.  You can read the details and one writer's perspective here.  I think this writer summed it up when he said, "The tennis family, it seems, is willing to indulge the nutters but not the knitters."


~ One of the benefits of these tough economic times is that people are becoming more thrifty and creative.  To keep her wedding costs down this yarn shop owner and bride knit her own wedding dress.  Her best advice on knitting her own dress?  "Just make sure you leave yourself plenty of time."


~ In yarn bombing news check out this colorful, crocheted crocodile playground.  I can't imagine how much time it must have taken to make this huge croc, but it has me thinking.  Maybe something on a smaller scale . . . 

No comments: