Friday, August 19, 2011

Farm Fresh

Part of my summertime routine includes a weekly visit to the farmers' market.  At this point in the season there is so much produce available.  I know that in a few short weeks we'll have less to choose from, so I try to take advantage of as much as I can right now.


This was the first week for tomatillos.




With a few jalapeños thrown in for good measure.


The tomatoes are plentiful.  They are a staple this time of year.  I eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.




Tomatillos, jalapeños, tomatoes . . . this calls for pico de gallo.  If you're curious about pico de gallo, you can read about it here.  My pico de gallo recipe is similar except I also add tomatillos.


We have cantaloupe.




I love the outside texture of the melon - rough, yet intricately delicate. Almost lacy. This sock is patiently waiting for me to finish knitting the toe.


And plums.




Delicious purple-red.  This freshly wound ball of yarn is calling my name.  I'm trying to ignore it.


One of the farmers is selling pepper plants, and I check on them every week.  In the beginning they had tiny eggplant colored peppers.  I was smitten with them then but even more so now.  They are my color inspiration for the week.




From purple to red and in between.  One of these weeks I may bring a plant home with me.

1 comment:

Taos Sunflower said...

Tomatillos...YUM...pico de gallo...double YUM. Saw some fresh Hatch chiles here in CA last week; tempting but too lazy to roast my own!