Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sweet

A few months ago I learned that not one, but two friends were having babies - babies with very close due dates.  To a knitter new baby translates into new baby sweater.  It's been a while since anyone in my family or circle of friends has had a baby, so I was excited with the prospect of knitting a couple of baby sweaters.  I had plenty of advance notice.  I would knit these sweaters and have time to spare.


I didn't give it much thought because I had so much time.  I knew from experience that it didn't take long to knit a baby sweater.  As we moved from winter to spring, from April to May my husband reminded me about the sweaters.  The babies are going to be here soon, I was warned.  I should note that one of the parents is a close friend of his, so he has a vested interest in this sweater project.


I started the process of looking at patterns for baby sweaters.  I have made so many baby sweaters over the years that my collection of patterns is quite extensive, but I wanted something new.  Something fresh. Then I had the bright idea that while I was at it, I might as well dye the yarn for the sweaters.  These baby sweaters were going to be beyond special.


I picked a pattern and started playing around with colors.  With so many options it was hard to choose.  I finally settled on this combination for one of the sweaters.




The pattern is Sweet Bunting Cardigan by Laura Chau.  The yarn is 100% superwash merino.  Both the yarn line and the colorways are currently unnamed.


This design has charming details.




A seed stitch band along the bottom edge.




And around the neckline.


To make it interesting there's a bit of colorwork.




Little flags along the yoke.


The contrasting color continues.




I-cord ties for closure.


As so often happens one thing leads to another, and this project has taken on a life of its own.  It dawned on me that I could offer this sweater as a kit - and that's what I'm doing.  This sweater kit will be available in four different sizes, each with three different color combinations.  That means I still have two sweaters to knit - one for the second baby, the other for a booth sample.  And there's still time to spare.  Neither of the babies has been born.  Yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very pretty! lucky baby!
love the yarn and color!