Monday, May 16, 2011

New Hampshire Adventure

This past weekend I was a vendor at New Hampshire Sheep and Wool.  This event is always an adventure and has a reputation for less than ideal weather.




We set up camp in record time.




The colors stood out against the white background.


Saturday was cloudy but dry.  It was a cool, comfortable day to be at a sheep and wool festival.  Thanks to everyone who stopped by the booth.  It's fun to chat with friends and make new acquaintances.  I wore my Corinne sweater on Saturday and was delighted with a visit from Crystal Erb Junkins, the designer.


New Hampshire Sheep and Wool is a big event.




Barns and buildings filled with vendors.




And more vendors.  Booth after booth full of creativity and inspiration.


One booth had this beautiful shawl on display.




It's made from yarn spun from a Jacob fleece.


There were Jacob pelts in the same booth.




Jacob sheep have such wonderful color variation.


I saw people test drive new spinning wheels.  I was intrigued by the Schacht Sidekick but declined an invitation to try it.  I knew it would be all downhill if I gave it a whirl.  


All weekend I watched people leave the fairgrounds, weighed down with bags and bags of fleece.  One woman commented that she hadn't been to this event in a few years and was making up for lost time.  I may have come home empty-handed, but I'm inspired to spin from my stash.


There were animals of every kind.




Sheep waiting to be herded.


Newly shorn alpacas.




Such an adorable face.


And there were rabbits.




This one sat patiently for a spinning session.


When you're at a fairgrounds, you have to have fair food.




Fried dough, kettle corn, baked goods, ice cream, hot dogs, hamburgers, falafel, Italian sausage, Indian pudding, apple crisp, pretzels.  All this and more.


On Sunday the weather turned wet.




This puddle formed just outside the booth.  


Slowly it made its way inside.




I tried to keep it at bay, but by the end of the day this cardboard was under water.  It's all part of the adventure.


The rain came down heavy just in time for tearing down the booth.  I gave up all efforts to stay dry and looked like a drowned rat by the time everything was loaded.  I'm still drying out from the weekend and probably will be for the next couple of days.  But it was worth it.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Yeah, Sunday was one of those days. I was at the Wright-Locke Farm Open House. Lucky the band got to play in the barn. Apparently earlier in the afternoon the petting zoo ducks were swimming in their fenced in area, since a large puddle formed right in place for them.

I didn't get too wet, but it took me ages to get warm again.

How cool to meet the designer of Corinne!