Friday, January 7, 2011

St. Distaff's Day

Today is St. Distaff's Day, the first day following the twelve days of Christmas signaling a return to the normal work routine for women. The origins of this day date to pre-industrial Europe at a time when there wasn't factory-made cloth or commercially spun yarn. Everything had to be spun by hand, and women were always spinning to meet the needs of their households.  Can you imagine?  It sounds like more than a full time job.


The distaff is one of the tools used for spinning.  In an attempt to soften the blow of returning to work the day was jokingly referred to as St. Distaff's Day.  There wasn't a real saint named Distaff.  It's interesting, but not surprising, that men did not have to return to work until several days later on Plough Monday.  You can read more about it here.  Some present day spinning groups and fiber guilds hold events to mark St. Distaff's Day.


I've had a change of heart with my most recent booth sample knitting. Make that a change of color.  Last you saw I was cruising along with the blue - which, by the way, is Lillian Cerulean.  I love this color but for some reason wasn't loving it in this pattern.  I had an inkling of this at about row 20 but kept right on going, thinking that if I knit just a little bit more the color would be what I had envisioned for this pattern.  It wasn't.   Somewhere after row 50 I admitted that I had pictured this pattern in a darker color.  I did what any self-respecting knitter would do and started over with a different color.




I'm now just past the point where I had stopped with the Cerulean. This yarn is Lillian Purple Potion.  The pattern, even though you can't see much of it yet, is Milkweed Shawl.  Having now worked well over 100 rows of this pattern I can say that I'm in sync with the rhythm of this design.  It's mostly garter stitch with a little yarn over and decrease combination for texture.  I'm on a roll.


My color inspiration for the week is part of a watercolor collage and reminds me of the Cerulean I was knitting with.  I've come to appreciate watercolors more and more over the years.




Colors in motion, shifting and blending.

3 comments:

MicheleinMaine said...

well, of course I have to comment on how nicely your project and bag are coordinated!:-) Looking forward to seeing what develops.

Karen said...

Hi! Every year when the adult ed catalogs come out I dream of signing up for a class in watercolor - it is just so cool. Then I always find the class is scheduled for some night that is always spoken for. Maybe when I retire...

You have to go check out the Yarn Harlot. She's knitting beer mittens...

Stephanie/Dirty Water DyeWorks said...

A woman after my own heart. I've had that pattern for some time . . . calling out to me the same way. If I weren't so obsessed with knitting booth samples, I'd be wearing pints on my hands too.