Friday, September 12, 2014

The Workbench

Recently I was cleaning out the garage, a task that had been hanging over me for quite some time.  As expected it was a good opportunity to get rid of things.  I believe in sharing the wealth, so I dispersed items through various locations - Goodwill, Craigslist, a church thrift store, friends and curbside with a sign that said Free

All of this sifting and sorting uncovered a table in the far back corner of the garage.  I remembered vague discussions of a workbench in the garage.  I didn't have a good recollection of it but always thought in terms of an oily table with a bunch of tools.  What I discovered had a little more character and charm.

My first thought was I needed to find a good home for the workbench, but the more time I spent in the garage, the more I became attached to the wooden table.  I toyed with the idea of using the workbench in my work space, but I dismissed that notion.  The workbench was too big, too clunky.

Then one day I did some quick math and realized the workbench really wouldn't take up any more space than the standard brown table I was already using.  It was settled.  The workbench had a new home.


This work surface is much more interesting than the boring brown table.


It has a built in tape measure and all sorts of information on nails, screws, bolts, washers and nuts, wood.  These days my work is just a little more interesting.

My color inspiration this week comes courtesy of our annual blueberry picking.  There's just one rule in the blueberry patch.


Pick only the ripe ones.

No comments: