Friday, September 19, 2014

How Many Skeins?

Recently another knitter and I were talking about new projects.  In the course of our discussion, I discovered she selects her projects based on how many skeins of yarn they take.  Ideally they use only 1 skein of fingering weight yarn.  If she's feeling adventurous, she'll go up to a 2-skein project.  I understand her reasoning.  These days she's extremely strapped for time.  Limiting the number of skeins keeps her knitting manageable.

The other day I was thinking about this approach to project selection. On one hand, it really narrows the pool of options.  For example, sweaters are out of the picture.  On the other hand, it increases the odds you'll actually finish a project - in theory, at least.

I'm not ready to give up larger projects for 1-skein projects, but it has a certain appeal . . . especially when one of my current projects doesn't seem to be advancing.


This is a vest, not a full-fledged sweater, but for all my effort, I'm not making much progress.  I shouldn't even have the tape measure out.  I know I still need a few more inches.  I'll soldier on because, in spite of the black hole I'm knitting in right now, it really is a fun project.  

How about you?  Do you try to limit yourself to single skein projects?

This week's color inspiration made me look twice . . . plum tomatoes that aren't red.


Warm and mellow.

No comments: