Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Finding Rhythm

So much of life is built around routines . . . a certain ebb and flow day in and day out.  I have to have coffee first thing in the morning. Without it, I'm lost and stumble through the morning until I get my fix. The caffeine is a definite must, but I think it's just as important to go through the mechanics of pouring that first cup.  There's a certain comfort in the ritual.  

I don't have a designated laundry day, but I do have other routines. I teach a knitting class on Mondays, but I've felt oddly out of sync because there aren't any classes over the summer.  Knit night is on Tuesdays.

My schedule includes dyeing at least 5 days per week, but in the summer I have to make adjustments.  Some days I can't bring myself to add to the heat and humidity.  That's been the story the last couple days, and I'm anxiously waiting for the weather to break.  My routine has been interrupted.

There is a certain rhythm to knitting a heel flap.  The back and forth goes quickly over just a few stitches.


I was so mesmerized by these tidy columns that I could have kept going.  I don't know what I would have done with a 6 inch heel flap, but it would have been pretty.  Instead I caught myself before I went down that road, and now I'm in the midst of the turn.  Back and forth, back and forth . . . somehow the same but with a different rhythm.

No comments: