Monday, August 19, 2013

Lost And Found

Last spring it became apparent that I needed to do a major overhaul of my office and work space.  Winding was inefficient, yarn was getting buried, labels were scattered and the tape dispenser was always missing.  I put the task of reorganizing the space on my summer projects list.  

Last week, when I realized I was running out of summer, I took the plunge.  I cleaned, moved furniture, rearranged and cleaned some more.  It was a good exercise in making the most efficient use of space.  It reminds me of putting together the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.  Sometimes you have to try a couple different ways before it all works.

With any project like this, there are always unexpected discoveries along the way.  I found a dead mouse behind one large chest.  I'm glad it was dead, but even then it gave me a good scare.  I found a pair of glasses that had been missing for months.  I was sure I had lost them this spring on a trip to Maine.  As for one of my favorite earrings that went AWOL, it hasn't surfaced.  I still have to clean my desk, so there's hope.

I gathered together many of the sample colors I've worked on over the last few weeks.


Group photo.  I'll be using some of these this fall.

I unearthed a tangle.


Several months ago a friend gave me custody of this mess - she knows I'm always up for a good challenge.  I had completely forgotten about it until I stumbled across a nondescript bag while I was sifting and sorting.  I'm not sure about the blend, but I think silk is involved. This project has taken on new meaning.

And in the sewing department . . . 


Holiday fabric and a box of vintage sewing silk.  I can't bear to use the thread, but there's enough fabric for a cute project bag.  With any luck I'll have enough summer left to do some sewing.

Right now, I'm off to clean my desk and find that missing earring.

No comments: