Monday, August 5, 2013

Adding Up

Stitch by stitch, row by row.  A little bit here, a little bit there.  You don't need a marathon knitting session to see forward progress.

Sometimes I have to grab my knitting time in bits and pieces.  It was a busy weekend for dyeing.  I'll spare you the debate I had with myself over the merits of starting a new knitting project.  In the end, the work in progress won out.  Whenever I sat down to crunch a few numbers, I also knit a few rows on my current sock project.  And it paid off.  


I finished the first sock and have a healthy start on the second.  In case you're interested, this is Luxor in Paula Violet.  

This design calls for a short row heel.  Normally I prefer a heel flap but decided to go with the flow on this one.  I've been exploring different short row techniques for a while now.  My current favorite is the German short row, but I thought this sock would be a good test for the shadow wrap method.  I'm not going to reinvent the wheel - follow the link for detailed instructions.

The shadow wrap method is a good exercise in stitch anatomy, and it works like a charm.  It's always nice to have another technique in your toolbox.  Give it a whirl if you're working with short rows.

No comments: