Friday, June 22, 2012

El Sol

This week we observed the summer solstice and the longest day of the year.  Not that the day is actually any longer - it's the hours of daylight that we celebrate.  I marked the occasion by trying to stay cool.  We're in the midst of a heat wave here where any beverage on ice is a valued commodity and even the grocery store is selling air conditioners.


The temps have been well into the 90s, but that hasn't stopped me. I've been knitting away, always within striking distance of a fan. Lucky for me I've had something small and portable to work on.  An afghan or sweater would have been more challenging.




Rhinebeck Mittens.


With their golden color these mittens are like a bit of sunshine.




The yarn is Dirty Water DyeWorks Edna, colorway Dijon.


The ribbed cuff flows into the cables.




The twists and turns create a pattern with texture and depth.


The design has a ribbed palm and thumb that stretches enough to accommodate most hand sizes.  These mittens are truly one size fits most.


I hated to see this project come to an end.  What's even worse is that I have to pack the mittens away.  The only consolation is that I'm replenishing my supply of handwear long before I need it.  I'll pull these out when the weather shifts and the daylight hours become shorter. And I'll be reminded of the summer sun.


For those who are interested, the Rhinebeck KAL theme continues with Rhinebeck Socks.  Follow the link for a preview picture.  The first clue will be released tomorrow.


This week I dyed yarn for a couple of special requests - colorways that were similar yet different.  Together they are my color inspiration for the week.




Shades of the sun.

No comments: