Monday, December 13, 2010

The Element Of Surprise

I've been working away on my holiday knitting.  My biggest challenge with this undertaking is not deciding on the pattern or the yarn but keeping it all hush-hush.  Since most of the recipients are members of this household, I try to knit in secret - get up extra early, stay up way too late, steal a row here or there when no one is looking.   


The other day a light bulb went on.  I had the realization that if I didn't have to keep this all secret, it would be so much easier to make progress on these projects.  I wouldn't be burning the candle at both ends.  I wouldn't have to lock myself in a room for private knitting time.  Why not knit these projects in plain view?  That way they might actually get done in time.  I could wrap finished projects and put them under the tree.


I floated this idea to a few family members and was loudly voted down.  It seems they like to be surprised by the pattern and by the yarn.  Even if the gift they receive is on the needles.  Who knew? Personally I think they have a hard time breaking with the tradition of receiving a half-knit gift still on the needles, but I'll go along with it. My secret knitting continues.


For all the knitting I've been doing I don't have many finished projects to show.  These were completed for a birthday gift.  They are huge before felting - I've included a shoe for scale.




My daughter requested these felted slippers and picked the yarn from my stash.  The irony is that I had bought this yarn a few years ago for my own pair of slippers and hadn't gotten around to making them yet. That will teach me.

1 comment:

MicheleinMaine said...

I've always wanted to make a pair of felted clogs! Good luck with it all!