Friday, November 26, 2010

Savoring Leftovers

It's the day after Thanksgiving, and the pace is more relaxed.  I do most of the cooking, and while I enjoy it, I also appreciate the leftovers and a couple of days off from kitchen duty.


Our Thanksgiving has a decidedly southwestern taste.  




The turkey is prepared with a chile pepper rub, and the stuffing is made with green chile and strips of corn tortillas.


We had many more traditional side dishes.




Butternut squash with cranberries and orange juice.




Wild rice with mushrooms.


And there was dessert.  Pies are one of my favorite things, and I go all out at Thanksgiving.




"A" is for apple.




With juice overflowing.




"B" is for blueberry.  No, I didn't work my way through the entire alphabet, but there were several more pies.


And now the long weekend stretches ahead with both work and knitting on my list.  This is when the leftovers come in handy.  


These days it's very stark and gray outside.  While we wait for snow to brighten the outdoor landscape, it's harder and harder to find much in the way of eye-catching color.  My neighbor's yard has the last glimmer of the fall hues - my color inspiration for the week.




Tiny orbs of golden yellow.

2 comments:

Karen said...

What, no pumpkin? Or mince? I guess not many folks care for mince, in the grand scheme of things.

Sounds like you had a great day. I have knit about 18" of DNA scarf - this could take a while!

Stephanie/Dirty Water DyeWorks said...

No mince. But in addition to the apple and blueberry there was pumpkin, apple cranberry, peach, pecan and cherry.

I'm looking forward to seeing your scarf progress next week.