Friday, January 20, 2017

Reknitting

Sometimes the only solution to a problem is a do-over.  I had a 
self-imposed deadline and a plan to meet it.  I sat down last night with my knitting, certain I would finish a pair of mitts.  I was so sure of myself I didn't bother to read the pattern again.  After all, I had just made one mitt.  I should be able to crank out the second one without a hitch.

The snag came after I had finished the thumb gusset and was dividing the remaining stitches for the fingers.  Somehow my stitch count was off.  How did that happen?  I kept counting and recounting, but the result was the same.  I didn't have enough stitches.

When all the counting didn't fix the problem, I went back to the pattern. Oops.  I had missed the increases on the last round of the cuff.  That's what I get for not checking in with the pattern.

The only feasible solution was to rip back.  So I did.


I started reknitting but haven't made my way back to the spot where I was.  I've let go of my deadline.  This time it's all about the process.

The Women's March is tomorrow, and people across the country will come together in support and solidarity.  If you haven't seen it yet, check out this mosaic of women in pink hats.  Inspiring.

Yesterday I was at Slater Mill setting up the booth for the weekend.  It was a good day for a drive, a much needed distraction and focused work.  For a moment I almost forgot about the chaos and confusion in this country.  This week's color inspiration . . . 


Sunshine and a glimmer of hope.

No comments: