Friday, September 25, 2015

Potluck Dyeing

I've been expanding the Lucia color lineup for the fall show season. Some of the colors are planned and tested, others are the potluck variety.

In some ways dyeing is like knitting.  Some knitters work a garment through to completion even when they realize along the way that it's not going to fit the way they had intended.  The theory is that it will fit someone - just not the intended recipient.  

I have that same theory for dyeing colors.  Just because the color isn't exactly what I had envisioned doesn't mean that someone else won't love it.  That theory gives me the green light to go ahead and dye with reckless abandon.  After all, no matter what comes out of the pot, someone somewhere is bound to like it.

Here is one of this week's potluck colors, and it exceeded my expectations.


Lucia, colorway Fall (after the dust settles I'll post it to the website).  I have a soft spot for anything in the yellow family, so I had to show great restraint and not cast on with this right now.  It's on my list for a future project.

The other day I looked over my fall schedule and resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to be living out of my truck for the next few weeks.  With several-back to-back weekends on the road, it doesn't even pay to unload in between shows.

I decided to make the best of the situation.  I'm off to a good start and packed everything neat and tidy.




Of course the real challenge is to keep it that way.  By the time November rolls around, I'm sure the truck will be a chaotic jumble of fixtures and bins and baskets and empty coffee cups.  But today when I head out for Southern Adirondack Fiber Festival, I'm going to savor this well-organized truck.

Tomato season is winding down, and we're enjoying it to the very end. We can't get tomatoes like this in winter.  My color inspiration this week . . . 


Dripping with juice.

1 comment:

tcm said...

Wow! What an amazing shade of yellow!