Friday, May 3, 2013

Short Supply

It's a busy time of year, and the dye pots are getting a workout - dyeing yarn to fill orders, dyeing yarn to restock inventory.  I've found the easiest way to manage all the yarn coming in and going out is to have a dyeing schedule.

Of course there are any number of distractions, but I've been holding steady.  Oh, there are plenty of temptations.  I know the computer could easily suck me in and consume big gulps of time, but putting myself on a strict schedule has made me very efficient with my computer time.  I get on, take care of essential business and get off.  

A dyeing schedule also means my knitting time is in short supply. With many activities I can incorporate a little knitting here and there.  I can easily knit a few rows while on the phone or browsing on the computer.  Dyeing, however, does not lend itself to knitting even a few stitches.  Needless to say I'm feeling deprived when it comes to my knitting time.

The other day I found myself waiting for one of the kids, and I was thrilled.  Enough time for a few rows.  I had the makings of a new project in tow . . . just in case.


I decided to invest some of my precious time and do the right thing.  I made a little swatch, and I'm glad I did.  It turns out the needles I was sure would give me gauge, didn't.  I made a slight adjustment and got gauge.

Once the needles size was sorted out, I didn't waste a minute in casting on.


After a few rows I had this to show.  I ran out of time just as the fun was getting underway.  I can tell it's going to be hard to leave this project alone.  I may have to surrender it to someone for safekeeping.

Time takes its toll, and it's very evident with my color inspiration for this week.  Texture and peeling paint reveal a past life for this old fence.


Layers of color.

No comments: