Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Shape Of Things

Knitting can be boiled down to two ingredients - the knit stitch and the purl stitch.  It's the extended techniques that make knitting so intriguing.  For example, take short rows.  They are magical.  Short rows allow for shaping and adding extra fabric just where it's needed.

Lately when the situation calls for short rows, I've been experimenting with German short rows.


Draupner has a series of scallops along the bottom edge, and the scallops are constructed using short rows.  I opted for German short rows since they are so neat and tidy.  If you want to see step by step instructions for making German short rows, check out a previous blog post.

I've been making scallop after scallop after scallop.


My cable is full of scallops.  I think it's time for a scallop count.

Speaking of shapes take a look at the work of Kiyoshi Mino for detailed needle felted animals . . . lovely works of art.

No comments: