Friday, April 12, 2013

Repeats

The other day I was busy with the dye pots and decided to experiment with a few colorways.  I took colorways from one base and used them on a different base.  I started by selecting a handful of colorways from Lillian - 100% Superwash Merino.  I dyed Lucia - 75% Superwash Merino, 25% Nylon - with the exact same dye formulas as the Lillian colorways.

As a general rule I don't expect colorways to look the same from base to base.  They all have different fiber content.  Some bases are tightly plied, others are more loosely plied.  All of these factors have an impact on the finished product.  But no matter what the outcome, it's always fun to experiment.

I started out with March Sky.


Lillian is on the left, and Lucia is on the right.  These two are almost identical.  Twins.

Then I tried Apricot.


Again, Lillian is on the left, and Lucia is on the right.  Same formula, different result.  These two share some of the same characteristics. Siblings.

And then because I got tired of repeats, I tried something new.


I want to cast on with this nameless colorway right now, but first I have to decide . . . socks or a shawl?

Rhode Island-area knitters are hot on the trail this weekend.  The Great Rhody Yarn Crawl is in full swing with knitterly fun and games all weekend long.  I'll be at Mount Hope Farm on Sunday to wrap it all up at the Marketplace.  The Rhode Island knitters know how to put on a yarn party.  If you're in the area, venture out for some of the festivities.

What a difference a few days can make, especially in spring. 


Just the other day these branches were bare, and now they're full of blossoms.

My color inspiration for the week.


Just a hint of pink.

No comments: