Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Making

This time of year is full of creativity, ideas and inspiration. Everywhere I look people are making - knitting, sewing, crafting, baking, cooking.  I do a fair share of making all year long and add special, traditional items at the holidays.  This year I decided to expand my horizons and make at least one new holiday item.

I considered several things and finally settled on this ornament idea from Susan Gibbs.  Instead of making my own wooden cutouts, I went to the local craft store.


I came home with wooden stars.

I grabbed some yarn and began wrapping.


This way.


 That way.


 And that way.


I knotted the two ends together on the back side and attached an ornament hook.


Ready for the tree.

A little light bulb went on.  I realized the possibilities and made another trip to the craft store.


A sock - with stripes, of course.

It didn't take long for the kids to join in the fun.


Variations on a theme.


A star within a star.

Before we knew it, we had a pile - more than enough.


Now all we need is a tree to go with the new ornaments.

No comments: