Monday, May 4, 2020

On the Island

An update from sleeve island.

I landed on the island with the intention of making it a short stay.  After all we're in the midst of a pandemic, and my regular routine has been turned upside down.  With plenty of free time on my hands, I planned to quickly take care of business and leave the island in record time.

That probably would have worked, but I stopped along the way to play a little game.


Love Note.  I'm holding one strand of Lillian with one strand of Shimmer, colorway Pond Scum.  This is my first sleeve . . . almost long enough but not quite where I want it.  I stopped and put the stitches on hold so I could work the second sleeve.  Note that this sleeve is still attached to the balls of yarn.


Here's the second sleeve worked to the same point as the first sleeve.

This is where the game begins.


The mohair skeins have more yardage, so I have plenty of that to finish the sleeves.  It's the Lillian that I'm playing with.  I'd like to finish both sleeves with this ball of yarn.

Both sleeves still need a couple more rounds followed by a little bit of ribbing.  And then there's the bind off.  The question is whether or not I'll settle for sleeves that are a smidge shorter than I had originally planned just so I can get both of them out of this ball.

I was knitting away last night.  I've been weighing the yarn as I go but haven't put this ball on the scale since then.  That information might be very helpful or add to my indecision.

So this morning I wound another skein.


Just in case.

If you're looking for daily purpose during this pandemic, have you taken a look at your coffee grinder?


Over the weekend, I disassembled our coffee grinder in a completely unplanned moment of frenzied cleaning activity.  I don't know what came over me, but in a matter of minutes I had the thing in pieces. After cleaning it thoroughly inside and out, I put everything back together.  Now it runs like a top and practically gleams.  

Keep your eyes open.  Just when you think you've exhausted your list of daily purpose activities, you're bound to find something else that needs attention.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Wow - that 's the coffee grinder I just purchased. My old one still worked, but the bin cover had fallen apart and the thing was too old to get a replacement part for. Not sure my new one needs cleaning yet, but I will keep it in mind.

Hope you win the sleeve battle - whatever that means for you!