Monday, December 19, 2016

A Backward Day

Yesterday I had a busy day at the Handmade Holiday Market in Cambridge.  Thanks to everyone who stopped by.  It was a fun, festive event.  Usually the day after an event I cut myself a little 
slack . . . sleep in a little later, ease into the day with knitting and coffee.  I don't take the whole day off, but it's definitely more relaxed.  

Not so today.  Friday we had a birthday celebration, and there's another one on the calendar for today.  The Friday party was fun and everything went smoothly until we hit a bit of a snag with the cake. That's what I'm calling it when my friend's foolproof cake recipe wasn't foolproof for me.  In all fairness I should have tested the cake before debuting it at a birthday dinner, but we survived the ordeal with a quick run for an ice cream cake.

I definitely didn't want to risk another cake catastrophe today.  I was out the door early to run an errand with my daughter and then on to the grocery store.  I hate any kind of store this time of year - even the grocery store - but I needed food for dinner.  It turns out the grocery store is more manageable first thing in the morning.  I won't make it a habit, but that early forage for food was probably one of my better decisions today.

I really shouldn't even worry about dessert for tonight because technically it's not a cake.  


My son requested apple strudel.

This is my mother's recipe, and I've made it a million times.  Surely nothing could go wrong.


And it didn't.  I would hate to lose my credibility in the kitchen.

This has turned out to be one of those backward days.  Since I missed my morning knitting session, I've set aside some knitting time for later in the day.

No comments: