Monday, September 5, 2016

Fair Fiber Wage

In the spirit of Labor Day, I thought I would share an interesting discussion that's been unfolding.  I've been following a lively debate about fair compensation for teachers at fiber events.  Most of the back and forth is happening on Facebook.  You can also find more on Twitter under the hashtag #FairFiberWage.




I'm not surprised by the numbers, but it is interesting the different perspectives that have surfaced during the course of this conversation.

I'm a firm believer in educating consumers.  If you've taken classes at events or are considering it, it's important for you to know how much work goes into that class.*  Fiber artists have a wonderful tradition of sharing their skills, techniques and knowledge.  Most of the fiber instructors I know love what they do, but at the end of the day it's work. A lot of work.  It's work they must be compensated for if we want to continue enjoying the rich, diverse classes that many events offer.

I could go on and on, but I'll get off my soapbox now.


Maybe I'll knit a few rows instead.  I'm almost ready to start the next color in the gradient progression.  I feel the momentum building . . . 


*The same could be said for that skein of hand dyed yarn you're fondling at an event, but that's a discussion for another day. 

No comments: