Monday, January 20, 2014

Museum Notes

I'm back from another delightful weekend at Slater Mill in Rhode Island.  Every winter they sponsor a Knitting Weekend complete with classes, a market and a bake sale.  Some people come to just hang out and spin or knit.  They're a very social group.

The market is held in the museum part of the mill, and the vendors are scattered among the mill equipment on display.  


No matter how many times I've been to the museum, I always find something new.

These two pieces fit together and are part of a larger piece of equipment.




I'm fascinated with the mechanics and the tooling of it all.  Textile mills are such an important part of New England history.  Slater Mill is a great resource to tell that story.


Of course when you're vending in a museum, the display comes in handy for modeling your wares.

The organizers of this event always pull together a nice mix of vendors.






This past weekend was no exception.

Part of the fun of this event is chatting with different people.  I met a couple women who opted out of Vogue Knitting Live this year and were on a little fiber retreat of their own.  There was a student from the cowl class who shared some of her own design ideas.  And there was a steady parade of beautiful handknit garments.

By the time I sat down last night, it was late.  I should have gone to bed, but I was still buzzing from the weekend activities.


And so I settled in with a little knitting of my own.

No comments: