Some time ago I started a thrummed mitten project. I don't remember when, and I don't want to dig too deep to find out. I'm afraid it was much longer ago than I care to admit. I do remember I set the mitten aside because I just wasn't feeling it. Something about the project bothered me, so I put it on hold to see if a bit of time and distance would help.
When I pulled the mitten out of hibernation, I didn't like it any better, but I was able to pinpoint my issues with it. The pattern is written with a loose, narrow cuff. I prefer a cuff that's snug and deep. This design also has several rounds of thrums from the wrist to the thumb gusset. I don't care for that chunky look. With those issues I couldn't salvage the mitten. There was no other choice but to rip it all out and start fresh.
Before I started round two, I looked at the suggestions in the pattern and made a few changes of my own. And while I was at it, I changed the color of yarn ever so slightly.
For the cuff I went down one needle size for a closer fit. I also made it deeper. I eliminated all but one round of thrums before the thumb gusset. The rest of the pattern I followed as written. Now I love these mittens.
East Coast Mittens.
Wooly and warm.
A new kit was born.
The yarn is 100% Merino. The fiber is a blend of Alpaca, Merino and Silk. And yes, it's available in several color combinations.
My color inspiration for the week has me thinking about color names. Red lentils aren't quite red, but that does't really matter. They're still very striking.
Spicy orange with a hint of yellow.