Friday, February 1, 2013

Exhale

Today I'm blogging from the road.  Yesterday I made my escape to Freeport after a chaotic couple of days in which I threw a birthday celebration, dyed last minute skeins, labeled yarn and thoroughly trashed the house.  I abandoned the homestead without even attempting to tidy and instead left the kids with instructions to clean the kitchen and wash a load of towels before my sister-in-law arrives this weekend.  They'll get extra points for vacuuming.

To say that yesterday was windy would have been an understatement. For the whole trip I had both hands on the wheel in a white-knuckle grip.  The random, intense gusts were waiting to catch me off guard and toss me into the next lane.  I felt like I was trying to keep a bucking bronco on course.

When I arrived, the hotel lobby was already packed with knitters and spinners.  It was like stepping into another world.  I touched base with a couple of friends and then had some time to unwind.


And do some sorting.  I don't usually roll into an event the day before, so it's been nice to catch my breath.  In my rush to get on the road I didn't allow myself enough time to thoroughly contemplate my travel knitting.  I left the house with a sock in progress.  That's it.  I had a moment of panic as I closed the suitcase and thought of grabbing more yarn - any yarn.  I know I won't have much time for knitting, but it's fun to pretend.  Today the real work begins . . . booth set-up.

My color inspiration this week comes from Slater Mill where there's a machine on display with gears, bobbins and thread guides.  It takes several strands of thread and weaves them all together into a cord. Kind of like an I-cord with many colors.


A rainbow of colors.

No comments: