Friday, October 12, 2012

Button Business

A few weeks ago I finished knitting Catkin.  When I made this shawl, I included the buttonholes.  Buttons are a nice touch and also a good way to keep your shawl in place.  When this came off the needles, I was pressed for time and didn't make an effort to find any buttons.


Fast forward a few weeks.  This shawl has been on display at three events and still doesn't have any buttons.  Instead I've explained over and over to people that the shawl has buttonholes, but I just haven't found the right buttons.  The fact of the matter is I've been really busy and haven't done much looking.  I did search my button stash but came up empty-handed.  Let's face it - Catkin buttons haven't been a priority.

So this week in the midst of Rhinebeck prep I decided to do something about the Catkin buttons.  Because I don't have enough going on already.


I stopped at my favorite local spot for buttons, Gather Here, and came away with these.

I usually allow a lot of time for picking buttons.  I want to check all the options and look at them by the window for natural light.  After that there's always a certain amount of back and forth as I narrow down the field.  It's a process.


This was one of my quickest button buying trips.  Being tight on time probably helped expedite the process, but I love the result.  The pearly gray is perfect.  Next time out Catkin will have buttons.

A couple of weeks ago I was gifted with this bromeliad.  Like a semi-solid yarn, the colorful leaves are slightly variegated.  My color inspiration for the week.


Shades of pink.

No comments: