Monday, July 16, 2018

Double-Checking

I started a new project over the weekend.  I did a couple gauge swatches, made my needle selection and cast on.  

After working through one section, I started to question my needle choice.  I got gauge with the needles I was using, but somehow the fabric didn't have as much drape as I had envisioned.  I worked a couple more rows.  To no surprise, the fabric didn't change.  It was nice and I probably could have lived with it, but I decided to play around a little more.


Here's a little tip when you're debating needle size after you've already started a project.  I didn't rip out what I had been working on.  Instead I grabbed a bigger pair of needles and worked a swatch from the other end of the yarn.  That way I could compare the two pieces.  If I really liked my first choice, I wouldn't have to start all over.

In this case, it didn't take me long to realize that I liked the larger needles.  I ripped it out and started over.


Now I'm back to where I was, and I'm happy with the way it's knitting up.  

Here's another tip.  If you have a vague sense that you don't like the way a project is working up, stop and figure out what's going on right away.  It will save time, effort and frustration.

No comments: