Friday, January 5, 2018

Tangled Ends

Knitting can be such a soothing, relaxing activity, but not every project comes together without a hitch.  There are plenty of potential pitfalls. There can be a problem with the pattern.  Or the yarn can have issues. Or maybe it's a combination of the two.

Sometimes even the simplest project can hit a snag.  Yesterday I was working on my third Inclination.  This is a straightforward pattern that practically knits itself.  I had a chunk of knitting time and was looking forward to making progress on this cowl.

And then this happened.


I hit a barfy mess in the middle of my ball.  Usually I can sort these situations out and get back on track, but this one was particularly stubborn.  In the interest of saving time, I decided to break my yarn and work from the outside of the ball.  

My time-saving measure came back to bite me.  Lo and behold I knit just a few stitches with the outside end and wound up back in this tangled web.  Somehow both ends of the yarn are involved in this jumble.

Yesterday we had a healthy dose of winter, and we moved a lot of snow but there's always more to do.  Today I cleared a path from the house to the street.  I'm hopeful the mail carrier and UPS will at least attempt delivery.  Now that my shoveling for the day is done, maybe I'll sit down and work on this tangle.

This week's color inspiration features winter white.


Snow magic.

1 comment:

Judy11 said...

I just went through this on my current project, but was very determined NOT to cut the yarn. Kept both ends intact to the ball and MANY hours later finally had a mini ball to be worked first that then led into the larger ball I was originally working from. I, too, am usually good at untangling yarn, necklaces, you name it. But this one took me for a ride.