Friday, June 26, 2020

It's Just Math

I always extol the value of knitting a swatch.  Whether I'm discussing techniques with my knitting students or chatting with my knit night buddies, I'm quick to point out the benefits of a swatch.

In the grand scheme of a knitting project, it doesn't take that much time.  Set aside half an hour and knit a swatch.  In the long run, it can save you hours and hours of wasted knitting time.  I'm not saying a swatch will produce a project that fits like a dream.  Sometimes there are other factors that derail a project, but it can't hurt to knit a swatch.

The other day I was ready to cast on a new project, but first I made time for a swatch.


I knit this swatch using two different needle sizes.  The purl bumps in the middle of the right side show where I changed sizes.  Then I washed the swatch and let it dry.

When the swatch was dry, I measured my gauge.  Neither needle produced the gauge listed in the pattern, but I liked both fabric samples.  Sometimes that happens.  I picked the fabric I liked for this project, took that gauge and crunched the numbers.  In the end, it all comes down to math.  


I'm confident this sweater will be the right size.  Yes, I know. Sometimes the gauge swatch lies.  Or the math is wrong.  Or the yarn and the pattern aren't a good match.  Don't burst my bubble.  At this point, I'm still optimistic.

In keeping with the yellow theme, here is this week's color inspiration.  I don't know what we do with so many lemons, but they sure are handy and we use them regularly.


A bit of sunshine.

No comments: