Friday, October 11, 2019

Old and New

Knitting is a very old craft and I've been knitting for a very long time, so I'm always amazed when I discover a new technique.  Or at least something that's new to me.

Take the backward loop cast on.  The other day I was working away on a project and had to cast on underarm stitches.  I usually use the basic backward loop method.  I don't know what came over me, but I started poking around online.  

Let me just say that I'm in the midst of a mad dash to get ready for Rhinebeck and have no business sitting down in front of the computer. There are dye pots to tend, skeins to label and samples to finish.  None of that involves computer time.

I didn't sit for long and was delighted with what I discovered.




A backward loop cast on with a couple different twists and turns.

Of course I had to try it.


The edge is definitely different than the thumb method.  I'll see how much I like it once I pick up and start the sleeves.  Even if it turns out that I prefer my usual method, it's always fun to come across something new.  Give this version a try the next time you need the backward loop cast on.

I found this week's color inspiration when I was on the road last weekend.


Reflection.

No comments: