Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Prairie Mittens

For once I have good timing.  We're in the midst of a wintery week, and I have a fresh pair of mittens.


Prairie Mittens.

These mitts have some fun details.


Interesting texture.


Garter palm.


Picot hem.

I made a couple slight modifications.  I started with a provisional cast on.  I prefer this method.  When it was time to fold the hem, I took the waste yarn out to expose the live stitches and used those to complete the hem.

I used a smaller needle than the pattern calls for.  This created a denser fabric, but it also made the mittens a little shorter.  I added ten more rounds of the pattern repeat to make up the difference.

With so much variety, these mittens are a fairly quick knit.  The yarn is Lucia DK held with Shimmer, both in March Sky.  The Shimmer (mohair and silk) adds a nice soft halo and makes a warm, cozy pair of mittens.

2 comments:

Meredith MC said...

The color and the halo on those mittens are making me fantasize about a cowl in that combination. Wow! I bet the stitch pattern would be good for a cowl too.

Manali said...

Great post, this guide helped me a lot, along with this finest brands of heated glove liners for skiing article also helps more.