Monday, September 24, 2018

Knitting by Weight

Usually knitting patterns ask you to knit a certain number of rows or inches.  Count the rows.  Measure the inches.  Pretty straightforward. And then every once in a while there's a pattern that has you knit according to the physical weight of your yarn.  

I've been working along on my Down The Road and Back Again.  I'm still not sure of all the twists and turns in this pattern, but I'm OK with that.  Sometimes knitting requires blind faith.  This pattern also has you knit a percentage of the yarn before moving along to the next section.  

I understand the reasoning behind this.  The pattern can accommodate different amounts of yarn.  The whole concept is pretty clever, but it makes me slightly frustrated.  Counting and measuring are easy and give up-to-the-minute progress.  Weighing, on the hand, isn't accurate in the moment unless you want to pull out the scale every few rows.

I hadn't weighed my yarn since I started this project, so this morning I decided to check in.


I still have 25 grams to go before I can move on to the next section, but that's not so bad.  Now I can estimate how many rows I still need based on how much I've already done.  I'm feeling better about the situation.  I've figured out a way to count rows even though the pattern is based on weight.

No comments: