Friday, August 20, 2010

Glorious Garter

Garter stitch is comfort knitting.  One stitch, one motion over and over.  Garter stitch is like listening to running water from a fountain - in the background yet ever-present, calm and peaceful.


The last couple of days I've had waiting time . . . time to fill with garter stitch.




Multnomah is coming right along.  The yarn is from Liz at MacKintosh Yarns.  This is Iona, colorway Midnight Rose - 80% sw merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon.  This tightly plied yarn makes for smooth, soft knitting.  I've moved into the border, away from the steady stream of garter.  While I'm sad to leave the comforts of garter, I'm anxious to watch the rest of the design unfold.


I've allowed myself to daydream.  Wishful thinking can be restorative on many levels.  At the top of my wish list is Lucy Neatby's Yukon Adventure Knitting.  What an amazing experience this would be!  The only problem I can see is that I probably wouldn't want to come home.


And here is my inspiration for the week.  For several days I drove around with a friend in the back of my truck.  Her work was tough and resilient, but eventually it tore.




A little bit of lace.

No comments: