Friday, November 13, 2020

Friday Reflections

Happy Friday!  It's been another trying week as the grim reality of the pandemic forces all of us to take stock and make adjustments.  Normally I would happily be anticipating the holiday season, but this year the holidays have lost their sparkle.  

We were warned this is where we were headed, and I made up my mind I wouldn't be discouraged.  Instead I've come up with a couple alternate plans for celebrating.  It won't be quite the same, but they all involve plenty of baking and cooking.  Some things don't change even in a pandemic. 

The world is a dark place right now, but I still make it a habit to look for the bright spots.  Often they're hard to find, but I did come across one today.  While I was out and about running errands, I had a brief conversation with a woman.  She asked about my business.  Knitters and yarn . . . I gave her a quick overview.   Then she mentioned she had learned to knit during the pandemic.  She taught herself with YouTube and made a baby blanket.  She also tried crochet but found that to be a little more challenging.  Too many loops, she said.  

She asked what I thought she should try next.  I suggested a hat or a cowl, and we discussed circular needles.  At the end she commented that using her hands was very calming during the pandemic.  Indeed.  I don't know how non-knitters have been coping.  This unexpected knitting chatter made my day.  It was the bright spot I needed.

I dyed this yarn earlier in the week and am looking forward to giving it a test run over the weekend.


Find something to look forward to.  It will help you get through the days.

This week's color inspiration . . . 


Glistening leaves.