Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Counting and Recounting

Yesterday I had a long to-do list, but one thing near the top was casting on a new project.  The pattern and yarn were ready to go.  All I had to do was get stitches on the needles.

It was one of those days, and I had more interruptions than I could count.  The cast on got bumped into the evening hours.  No big deal.  After dinner I settled in with yarn and needles only to be interrupted yet again.  My parenting gig takes priority, but I have to say, sometimes it gets in the way of other plans.

Finally around 9:00 I got down to business.  This pattern needs over 250 stitches, so I cast on with markers, counting and recounting the whole way.

The first time, I was way off.  I discovered I might have been reading the wrong pattern, so I started again.  The second time wasn't much better.  No, there wasn't any wine involved.  Maybe I was getting tired.  I cast on a third time, but by then it was after 11:00, and I didn't have the stamina to count any more.


In the morning I looked at all those stitches and decided to let the project rest a while.  Instead I went back to this project.


This hat is almost finished.  In just a few rounds it will be off the needles, and then I'll start counting stitches again. With any luck I'll even have the right number.

1 comment:

stephanie48 said...

Good luck with your counting.