Monday, February 12, 2018

Button It

Recently I went on a pompom bender, and now I'm immersed in all sorts of ideas.  I have a list of hat patterns a mile long so that's not a problem, but I got to thinking about washing said hats.  What about the poms?  I had visions of wet, bedraggled, furry blobs.  What if one day I decided I'd like the hat without a pom?  Or what if I wanted a different pom on the hat?

Clearly the only solution was to make the pompom detachable.  I did a fair amount of research and settled on this method.


This is my Newfie Hat along with a pompom and a button.


Start by sewing the button to the top of the hat on the inside.


This pompom came with two strings.  I also have some with loops. Either one will work.  If you don't have strings or a loop, wrap a piece of yarn around the middle of the pom and create two ends.  Thread the ends through a needle.


Pull the strings to the inside at the top of the hat.  If you have a loop, pull it through the top with a crochet hook.


Wrap the strings around the button several times.  I crisscrossed mine. Then tie tightly in a bow.  If you have a loop instead, wrap it around the button.


This pom is securely attached and can easily be removed.  Pompom perfection.

1 comment:

Meredith MC said...

That Pom is perfect! Better than a punk rock hairdo, as it’s removable and so freakin cute!