Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Meeting In The Middle

The end is in sight for Miss Doolittle.




This lovely little lace scarf is knit in two sections and is grafted in the middle.  Somewhere along the way I decided I was going to work the scarf until the yarn was all gone.  I worked one section and then worked the other section the same number of repeats.  I still had leftover yarn, so I worked a couple more repeats on each section. Now I'm at the point where I don't have enough yarn to complete two more repeats, so it's time to call it quits.


Knitting lace involves some mental gymnastics.  You repeat a series of rows over and over.  At first the repeats are like a foreign language, and you stumble blindly from one row to the next.  As with so many things in life practice makes all the difference.  After numerous repeats you learn the rhythm of the rows and can work them without as much effort.  But it always seems that as soon as you have the rows memorized and are really in the groove, the project is finished and it's time to move on. 


This bit of lace looks rather nondescript.  What it needs is a bath and a good blocking.  I can't wait to see the transformation.


In other news Susan Gibbs from Juniper Moon Farm has launched another new project.  Take a minute to read about her latest venture, By Hand.

No comments: