Thursday, October 7, 2010

Buy Handmade Revisited

Buy Handmade.  Remember when that campaign was started a few years ago?  I thought it was a good idea.  Promote the crafts and the people who make the crafts.  I considered it another way to Buy Local.


I've been reading an interesting post on the topic of Buy Handmade.  It seems that too much of a good thing has flooded the market and, in some instances, has forced the prices of handmade items to ridiculously low, Made in China levels.  While that wasn't the intention of this effort, that's the result of our economic system at work.


It appears that now the challenge is to market and sell those handmade products just like anything else out there in the marketplace.   It's not enough that it's handmade.  If given the choice between two handmade products, why should I buy one over the other?  What are the benefits of one over the other?  Convince me.


Here's the message I take away from all of this.  If you're in the business of selling handmade, it's time to start making that sales pitch.  Over and over.  There's a lot of competition out there, and you can't hide behind the Buy Handmade slogan any more.  If you want to read more about it, go here.  Food for thought.


And while I'm on the subject of selling, I've had a lot of inquiries about my online store.  Yes, there will be one.  And yes, it's still under construction.  I'm working as fast as I can.  I will announce the grand opening here and in my Ravelry group.


To whet your appetite, here's a taste of things to come.  




Paula, 100% Superwash Blue Faced Leicester, 100g / 410yd; colorway Gourd.  


And there are more colors on the way.